Web Application Penetration Testing
In the Digital Age, web application penetration testing become one of the most critical elements of
an organization’s vulnerability management program
What is a Web application penetration testing?
Trends in industries are constantly changed as well as architectural patterns, but security issues remain actual for business and users. For our developers, security is a vital component at all stages of the software development cycle. Your web project will be secured from all sides thanks to wide measures applying of security controls such as application architecture review - at early project stages, code standards compliance accordance (OWASP Top 10, ISO/IEC 27001:2005 etc.) during main development stage, and attack vectors identification and vulnerability scan - before the project release.
A web application penetration testing aims to identify security issues resulting from insecure development practices in the design, coding and publishing of software or a website.
This generally includes:
- Testing user authentication to verify that accounts cannot compromise data
- Assessing the web applications for flaws and vulnerabilities, such as XSS (cross-site scripting)
- Confirming the secure configuration of web browsers and identifying features that can cause vulnerabilities
- Safeguarding web server security and database server security
The vulnerabilities are presented in a format that allows an organisation to assess their relative business risk and the cost of remediation. These can then be resolved in line with the application owner’s budget and risk appetite, inducing a proportionate response to cyber risks.
- Before testing, our account management team will discuss your assessment requirements for your websites or applications to define the scope of the test.
- During this step, our teammaps the web application – using manual and automated means – to ensure that all pages in scope are identified for closer analysis.
- Using the information identified in the initial phase, we test the application for potential vulnerabilities. This will provide your organisation with the ability to produce an accurate threat and risk assessment.
- The test results will be fully analysed by an IT Governance tester, and a full report will be prepared for the customer that will set out the scope of the test and the methodology used.
- We can provide access to our testers and the raw test data to support and expedite remediation. We can also retest your systems so that you can be sure all the issues have been successfully resolved.
The benefits of a web application penetration test
Our penetration tests will help you:
- Gain real-world insight into your vulnerabilities
- Keep untrusted data separate from commands and queries
- Develop strong authentication and session management controls
- Improve access control
- Discover the most vulnerable route through which an attack can be made
- Find any loopholes that could lead to the theft of sensitive data
Is a web application penetration test right for you?
If you are responsible for a website or web application, you should ask yourself:
- Could your application be exploited to access your network?
- Do you use an off-the-shelf CMS (content management system)? Is it vulnerable to attack?
- Could your identity credentials be hacked, or account privileges escalated?
- Is your API secure?
- Do you process or store payment details on your website?
- Does your application store personally identifiable information at the back-end?
- Can an attacker get direct access to your database using SQL injection?
We are ready to offer competent staff with great experience related to web-security and penetration testing. Even in case the task seems to be impracticable, we know who to ring for advice to do with a favor.
Any questions? You are welcome!